Your privacy is important to us. This consumer online privacy statement (“Online Privacy Statement”) explains how we collect, share, use, and protect information when you visit or use this online service and any other online services offered by New York Community Bancorp, Inc., New York Community Bank, a division of Flagstar Bank, N.A. their affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, “NYCB”, “We” or “Our”). This statement covers NYCB’s online services, including the mybankingdirect.com web site (the “Site”) and NYCB mobile services, as well as any interactions you may have while viewing content provided through an online digital advertising campaign.
This Online Privacy Statement is provided with respect to content and services delivered and offered by NYCB in the United States. When using NYCB’s online services to receive information or to access the Site for transaction purposes, your information will be transferred or processed in the United States. Certain NYCB web site pages (e.g., a micro site) and NYCB social media sites may have terms regarding the privacy of your information in addition to those described in this Online Privacy Statement. Please be sure to review the privacy disclosures for the specific NYCB Online service you are using.
Our online services are NOT intended for children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 without parental consent.
If you have a financial product or service with us, we will use and share any information that we collect from or about you in accordance with our Consumer Privacy Notice (PDF) and the CA Resident Privacy Notice (PDF) (for California residents).
Information We Collect
Personal Information Collected Via Technology. We and our service providers may automatically log information about you, your computer or mobile device, and your interaction over time with our Services, our communications and other online services, such as:
- Device data, such as your computer’s or mobile device’s operating system type and version, manufacturer and model, browser type, screen resolution, device type (e.g., phone, tablet), IP address, unique identifiers, language settings, mobile device carrier, radio/network information (e.g., WiFi, LTE, 3G), and general location information such as city, state or geographic area.
- Location Information. If you have enabled location services on your phone and agree to the collection of your location when prompted by the Services, we will collect location data when you use the Services even when the app is closed or not in use; for example, to provide our fraud detection services. If you do not want us to collect this information, you may decline the collection of your location when prompted or adjust the location services settings on your device.
NYCB Mobile and NYCB Debit+. For your convenience, NYCB enables you to access certain products and services through downloadable mobile applications and websites designed for access via a web browser used on a wireless device. When you use NYCB Mobile or NYCB Debit+ applications, we may collect information such as device settings and unique device identifiers for your mobile device, your screen resolution and other device settings, information about your location, and analytical information that may assist with diagnostics and performance. We may include certain permissions for NYCB Mobile and NYCB Debit+, including seeking permission to collect information about the geographic location of the mobile device you are using to access these applications. This information may be collected when you use certain services within the applications that are dependent on your mobile device’s location (such as the location of an ATM or in store transactions).
Opting Out of Location Tracking. If you initially consented to the collection of geo-location information through the services, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. Please note, however, that if you withdraw consent to our collection of location information, you may no longer be able to use some features of the application.
Additional Sources of Information. We also may collect information about you from additional online and offline sources, including co-branded web sites we may operate with partners or third-party commercial sources, such as credit reporting agencies, including credit bureaus. We may combine this information with the personal and other information we have collected about you under this Online Privacy Statement.
How We Use the Information
We may use your personal information for a variety of reasons, including the following:
- to respond to your inquiries and/or requests
- to process applications and transactions
- to verify your identity in order to allow access to your account(s)
- to provide you with relevant information and promotions about products and services
- send you administrative e-mail notifications, such as security or support and maintenance advisories
- for business purposes such as data analysis, optimizing your web site and mobile experience, managing your preferences, supporting risk management, and fraud monitoring and prevention
- to share, as permitted, with our affiliates and with third parties who agreed to keep it confidential and use it only to provide the services we have asked them to perform, as explained in our Consumer Privacy Notice
Compliance and protection. We may use your personal information to:
- comply with applicable laws, lawful requests and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities;
- protect our, your or others' rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims);
- audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies;
- enforce the terms and conditions that govern the online service; and
- prevent, identify, investigate, and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity. including cyberattacks and identity theft.
You can control whether or not to accept cookies. A 'cookie' is a small text file that a web server may place on your computer when you visit a web site. The file uniquely identifies a browser/computer and information stored in a cookie sent by a NYCB web page can only be read by NYCB (or a company we work with). You can modify your browser setting to either notify you when you receive a cookie so you can choose whether or not to accept it or set your browser to not accept cookies automatically. If you decide to not accept cookies, some features and services on the Site may not work properly because we may not be able to recognize and associate you with your account(s).
Web Site Tracking
We try and place advertisements where we think they will be most relevant to our customers. Third party companies we work with may place and track our advertisements on third-party websites. As there is no technical standard for how Do Not Track consumer browser settings should work on commercial websites, the marketing industry has undertaken certain self-regulatory initiatives to provide consumers with a choice of the types of ads they may see online and to enable them to opt-out from online behavioral ads served by some or all of the companies participating in these programs reasonably conveniently. Because of the absence of such technical standards, we cannot ensure that the Site will respond to Do Not Track consumer browser settings in any particular instance.
If you prefer to not receive targeted advertising, you can opt out of some network advertising programs that use your information by visiting the Network Advertising Alliance ("NAI") site at networkadvertising.org/choices/. This will not avoid you from seeing any ads, but will avoid having any relate to your interests as determined during your web browsing. The NAI web site also offers a tool that identifies its member companies that have placed cookies on your browser and provides links to those companies. Please note that network advertising companies that provide these services have their own privacy policies and are not subject to our Online Privacy Statement.
Protecting your information is a priority of NYCB. We protect your information with reasonable physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with Federal standards. For more information about our commitment to security and for tips about what you can do to help guard against fraud and identity theft, visit our Security Center.
Links To Other Sites
Accuracy of Information
Keeping your account information accurate and up-to-date is important. You may review or update certain information by logging on to NYCB Online. You may also contact us by using the Customer Service option on our website or you may contact your local branch.
Notice of changes
NYCB reserves the right to amend this Online Privacy Statement from time to time without prior notice. By including the ‘Effective Date’ of this Online Privacy Statement, as indicated below, the last time it was revised or materially changed is made clear and enables you to determine whether there have been any changes since you last reviewed this Online Privacy Statement. Please review periodically.
This Online Privacy Statement was last modified on December 2022.